Installers asked to sign up before the scheme opens for voucher applications in May, as scheme seeks 30,000 installations in first year.
BEIS has called on contractors and installers to sign up to deliver the new Boiler Upgrade Scheme from midday today (11 April), to enable customers to claim grants of up to £6,000 towards the cost of replacing traditional fossil fuel boilers with heat pumps and, in some cases, biomass boilers.
By setting up an account early with scheme administrator Ofgem, installers will be ready to benefit when the scheme for householders and small businesses in England and Wales begins on 23 May, BEIS said. The department noted that social housing will not be eligible for support, and neither are new buildings, which are covered by existing legislation, except for self-built domestic properties.
Ofgem is hosting a BUS update event today at 10am covering the installer account creation and answering questions. Installers can register using this link.
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme: What installers need to do
- Sign up as a certified installer with Ofgem
- Download an application form and provide business address, bank details, MCS certification and proof of ID. Once registered, installers will not have to do this process again.
When property owners enquire about carrying out work
- Agree a quote for installation, making sure the quote deducts the grant amount from the total cost.
- Apply for a grant on behalf of the customer
BEIS says that as this scheme is ‘installer-led’, the contractor or installer has greater control of the timeframes: “You apply to Ofgem for a voucher for the grant, and your customer will provide consent to Ofgem for you to act on their behalf. When the work is complete, you send in your redemption application and the grant will be paid to you.”
Through the Boiler Upgrade Scheme property owners will be able to get:
- £5,000 off the cost and installation of an air source heat pump
- £5,000 off the cost and installation of a biomass boiler
- £6,000 off the cost and installation of a ground source heat pump
In addition to this, the government has recently announced 0% VAT on the installation of heat pumps and biomass boilers, which will last for five years.
For more information on the Boiler Upgrade Scheme visit www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-and-social-schemes/boiler-upgrade-scheme-bus.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.